I've been wanting to post about this for some time now but there was always something else that was on my mind. Now, I find myself reflecting on the words in this book at least as much as any other topic, if not more. Incompatible with Life: A Diary of Keeping Daniel was written by Kylie Sheffield, a mother in Australia who gave birth to a baby with Trisomy 13 in 2007. She named him Daniel.
I found the book when we first learned about Lily's differences; when they initially told us she had Trisomy 13. It's a PDF file and isn't terribly long so I'd finished the book before I learned that Lily didn't have Trisomy 13 after all. I'm so glad that I did! The experiences that Kylie recorded, the thoughts she thought and feelings she felt, were all nearly identical to what I was feeling. And now that Lily's passed on I can say the same about her experience losing Daniel. As I was watching Lily leave I literally thought to myself "She did it, I can do it. She did it, I can do it." If you've been given a similar diagnosis for your child, something they say is "incompatible with life," this book will give you something to hold on to, something to steady yourself as the waves of uncertainty crash down around you. If you're not, this book will open your eyes to something you may never experience yourself. But even if you don't, I guarantee you you'll meet someone again someday that is in a similar situation. And you'll be better able to show compassion having read Daniel's book.
Here's the link: Incompatible with Life: A Diary of Keeping Daniel
9 years ago




4 comments:
How can I get a copy to read?
Follow the link at the bottom of the post (Incompatible with Life: A Diary of Keeping Daniel) and then click on the purple "Daniel's Book" button on the following page to download the PDF file. If you'd rather have a hard copy it'll cost $5 plus shipping (to cover printing costs). To do that you just contact them to place your order. The info's on the same website. I'm glad you want to read it!
What a touching story! Thank you for sharing it. So many people struggled to know what to say after my dad died. People are all different, so it's hard to know what the right things to say are. But I think reading stories about other people and their experiences helps to explain grieving and loss for those who haven't experienced it.
Like Daniel, I'm so glad Lily is so loved.
That is such a touching story. I wish I could teach her about temple sealings! :)I remember when my older brother died-I still don't think it could compare to a child-now that I'm a mom. Even with the gospel there is grieving...but the promises of sealing families forever is what I held on to. And the knowledge that even though it seems like no one could understand our pain, the Savior does. I love knowing that. And I love how Daniel's mom describes wanting to share his life with everyone. You never want people to forget and that it feels good talking about them. I'm glad you share! I was thinking about the first time I held Lily the other day and it made me smile. So petite, cute, and calm. What a beautiful baby girl! And she's yours forver!
Post a Comment