8.05.2009

Community Supported Agriculture

Mystery solved: it's a lemon cucumber. I'd heard of them but never seen them before. Thanks, Christie and Heidi!

Just in case anyone was interested in learning more about Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) I'm including a link to a website, Local Harvest, that tells you all about it and helps you find CSAs in your area. I'm really glad that we decided to do it this year. For those of you in Utah, we use Bell Organic Gardens. They give us vegetables, plus we opted to have an egg share and a cheese share, too. So I get eggs from a farm in Provo - from chickens who eat what chickens are supposed to eat; cheese made locally all over the state (including goat cheese); and vegetables grown in Draper. I stop by the SLC farmer's market every Saturday for fruit and, now, flowers for Lily. So I hardly go to the grocery store at all this summer. It's pretty liberating, actually. Most CSAs have sign-ups in the spring but check it out in your area now, if you're interested. You never know, and you'll have it on your mind for next spring if you do have to wait that long.

4 comments:

Ryan and Alicia said...

The Murray farmer's market just started last Sat and it's every Fri and Sat mornings until the end of Oct. It's just right down in Murray park and we go every weekend that it's open. Yummy stuff and it's closer than the SL one. Check it out next weekend and see if you like it. Give me a call if you want to go!!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the info! Joe and I have been looking into it and will definitely be signing up for next year!

Gini said...

Could you please share with the rest of us what you learned about a lemon cucumber... how do you cook it? ... how do you eat it? I have never heard of this one at all, so I am really curious.

Moser Family said...

Ellie and I have learned something new! Do you think they cross breed lemons and cucumbers??? Weird... Who thinks of this stuff? :)