6.08.2009

The First Recipe Contest

Between medical bills, daily life expenses and a home in desperate need of constant renovations Craig and I have decided that it would be nice to have a little more cash. Since he's already the family breadwinner I've been feeling like there's got to be something more that I can do. But I don't really want to work outside the home and let's be honest - who's going to hire an 8 months pregnant woman anyway? Then I had an idea: recipe contests! I love cooking, have wanted to experiment with creating my own recipes, and am all for fun prizes. They way I see it I have nothing to lose. I entered my first contest today! Even though I'm sure I won't win anything for quite awhile, at least until I get some more experience under my belt, I feel like I'm doing a little bit more than I was before. I highly recommend it to others; it was so much fun! Here's the recipe I came up with for the Lindsay Olives Recipe Contest:

Kalamata & Goat Cheese Pizza

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
Pizza dough
Salt and pepper, to taste
3.5 ounces goat cheese
4 ounces smoked provolone, shredded
3 ounces Lindsay pitted Greek Kalamata Olives, halved
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

In a small skillet over medium-high heat saute garlic and Herbes de Provence in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 30 seconds, until golden and fragrant. Add sliced onion and continue to saute until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.

Roll pizza dough to 12 inches in diameter. Brush with remaining tablespoon olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Crumble goat cheese over the dough, leaving 1/2 inch space around the edges for crust. Follow with provolone and parmesan. Top with caramelized onions, Lindsay Greek Kalamata Olives, and toasted pine nuts.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is just beginning to brown. Serve immediately.


3 comments:

Jessica Jackson said...

Very impressive! I can follow a recipe, but I don't know about coming up with one of my own. Good luck with these last few weeks of pregnancy! And Brady is growing right up! He's a cutie.

Chelsey said...

What a fancy recipe. I am kind of embarrassed that I made pizza yesterday with some cut up ham lunchmeat and pineapple and regular cheddar cheese. I'd much rather have your pizza!

Christie said...

You've always been a good creative chef! If I put out a cookbook someday would you contribute?? Also, do you have a good pizza dough recipe you used for this?