6.04.2009

34 weeks and counting

Today I had an appointment for an ultrasound and the standard clinic visit. The ultrasound was first, followed by clinic which included a discussion with our doctor on what they found in the ultrasound. Unfortunately, Lily's hydrocephalus is getting worse which is causing her head to grow much faster than the rest of her body. Her body's sized at about 32 weeks, but her head is measuring 35.5 weeks. In conjunction with that the amniotic fluid is also increasing - I have about 35% more amniotic fluid than other women at my same stage of pregnancy. They didn't tell me why her hydrocephalus is getting worse (I forgot to ask, but they probably don't have a clear idea anyway) but there is nothing we can do about it until she's born. It does carry some necessary complications for the birth, however.

If her head keeps growing so much faster than the rest of her it may get to a point where it's too big to fit through the vaginal canal, making a vaginal delivery impossible. At that point they would have to do a c-section, cutting horizontally across my lower abdomen. But if the head gets really big it'll be too big for that even and they'll have to do a c-section cutting vertically up my abdomen. Considering I wanted to have a natural, drug-free delivery I'm not very excited about any of these options. But of course we do what's best for Lily.

Here's the really tricky part: If her head keeps growing, with only a "guarded prognosis" for Lily we have to decide what course of action we want to take. Whether to induce labor early or do a c-section and, if a c-section, what type? In other words, how long will we let her grow inside of me before saying it's time? The longer we wait the better for her, but the more complications it makes for futures pregnancies/labors/children. Fun place to be, huh?

I think I'd rather be elsewhere. But this is it; this is our life, our pregnancy, our baby girl. And somehow the pieces are all going to fall together. It may not be as pretty a picture as we would have liked, but that's okay. If every piece was made in gold and yellow the end result wouldn't be nearly as beautiful as with the blacks and greys. Please don't stop praying for my baby.

7 comments:

Clayton and Amber said...

We will never stop praying for sweet Lily. I'm glad you have a great set of Doctors for you and Lily! We think about you constantly and pray for strengh and comfort for your family. We love you and admire your trust and patience in the Lord at such a difficult time.

Raeanna said...

You have been an awesome blogger lately Mer! I am impressed! We will pray for Lily and for you and the doctors because you all have big decisions to make soon here. You are amazing!

Jonathan and Laura said...

We will continue to pray for Lily and for your family. May the Lord bless you with whatever happens.

Chelsey said...

I second that you have been an awesome blogger lately. I really appreciate you being willing to share updates with us through your blog. We will not stop praying for Lily and for you and Craig.

Ashley H. said...

You are so strong! I admire you so much. We will continue to pray for you as well.

Durrant said...

We will continue to pray for your family and sweet Lily! Please call us if you ever need a baby sitter for Brady- with going to appointments etc or if you and Craig just need a night out alone! Crew would love to have a little playmate around! We love your sweet family and hope the best for you guys!

The Robinsons said...

You are amazing Meredith! We will definitely keep praying for you and Lily. Good luck with your decisions. Love you guys!! You are welcome to send Brady down here for a few weeks :-) We'll keep him really busy with our crazy life!