6.13.2009

Lily Grace Church

Oh the stories we have to tell! My last doctor's appointment was this past Thursday, June 11th. It started out with a Non-Stress Test (where they basically just listen to the baby's heartbeat for 20+ minutes). During the test Lily's heart rate dropped for about 3 minutes so they sent me over to Labor and Delivery for further monitoring. I spent the next 24 hours in the hospital with a monitor strapped to my belly, but nothing significant happened so they sent me home Friday morning. I was having some contractions, on and off, but wasn't dilating much at all so nobody really thought anything of it.

Later that evening, at around 6:30p, I started having regular contractions again. I've had so many contractions over the past month that just start and then stop an hour or two later that I figured these would probably have a similar end. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The contractions stayed pretty steady for the next 4 hours or so, getting a little bit stronger and closer together but nothing too bad. Then at about 11p they started to almost pile up on top of one another and before I knew it they weren't even really stopping. The hospital is usually a 25 minute drive from our house. I don't know how fast we were going or how many red lights Craig ran (cautiously) but we made it there in record time. Which is a good thing because I had started pushing in the car. If you've been in labor before, you understand the uncontrollable urge. If you haven't, let me tell you there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was trying! But that child was coming out. Luckily, my water hadn't broken yet and I couldn't feel her head which gave me some comfort. Craig parked in front of the ER, grabbed a wheelchair and RAN through the hospital to get me to Labor & Delivery. As the elevator doors opened onto the L&D floor my water broke. Keep in mind, I had extra amniotic fluid so there was A LOT of water. Poor Craig was running behind me, screaming in the wheelchair, sliding all over the place while trying to open doors. I'm sure that we looked pretty hilarious. As we got to Labor & Delivery at least 6 nurses came running down the hall toward us. They got us into the delivery room, stripped off my pants and barely got me on the bed, on all fours, before she started to crown. I stayed in that position for the duration of the labor - there was no way I was going on my back, I had no desire to move any more than I absolutely had to. But the duration of the labor was about 1 minute. I didn't even feel like I was pushing hardly and then out she came! So, ladies and gentlemen, we have a new addition to our family. Please meet Miss Lily Grace Church:
Born June 13, 2009 at 12:23a
4 lbs 10 oz
17.25"

Lily was fabulous! She was pink and gorgeous and breathed on her own from the very beginning. She still hasn't had any troubles at all. She amazes us. She is in the NICU because of her brain abnormalities but that's more precautionary than anything. All the nurses say that if she didn't have anything wrong with her brain she'd be going home with us in a few days. As it is, she's scheduled for an MRI and a meeting with a geneticist on Monday to help us figure out just what her brain really looks like and what might be in store for her in the future. She'll probably be in the hospital for a few more weeks until they're certain she'll be alright at home.
Sporting her shades under the bili-lights

Lily and her mama

First, we want to say thank you to everyone who helped watch Brady for us over the past few days. He has no idea what's going on or even that Lily's not in my belly anymore (he's too little to visit in the NICU) but he has had a ball playing with everyone. It's so nice to not worry that he's happy and well taken care of. Also, we want to thank everyone who has been praying for Lily and for us. If it hadn't been for your prayers who knows what last night may have held. We have been blessed enormously; God keeps giving us miracle upon miracle. We're so happy to have our tiny, beautiful daughter. We can't wait until we get to take her home. Our fingers are crossed that Monday's tests hold more good news.

19 comments:

Alicia said...

Congratulations you two. She's beautiful! We'll be praying for you and her!

kenders said...

Congratulations!! That is quite the story. Hope things keep getting better!

Trevor and Summer said...

How wonderful everything worked out with the labor and delivery. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!

Janni said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! what an ordeal! we'll be praying for you!

Jill Lau said...

Congratulations you guys. I'm so glad that everything went okay. That is quite the story!! I can't wait to see more pictures and I hope you can take her home soon. She is beautiful!

LeBaron Family said...

Congrats! She is a beautiful little girl!

Christie said...

Congratulations, Mer! I'm so glad things went well. What an adventure! And welcome, baby Lily!

BeccaLou said...

oh i am so happy for you all mer i have had you in my prayers for months. She is truly a miracle and God is watching over you all. Love you and miss you and again congrats!

The Robinsons said...

She is beautiful! Congrats. Give her some extra kisses from her cousins in AZ!!

Durrant said...

Oh my what a surprise! I am glad everything went as smoothly as it did! I hope you are feeling okay! Lily is beautiful! We would love to bring you dinner sometime! I am able to be exposed to people on Tuesday so let us know if you need a babysitter for the Brady man! Congrats guys! Hope she gets to come home soon! Love ya!

Mike & Emily West said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Meredith and Craig, you are an amazing, tough and tremendous example of positivity and faith! We are so happy that so far everything looks good. We will also keep your little family in our prayers. She is beautiful!!!

Dave said...

Wow! What an experience! Way to go Mer! We're so glad she made it safely and is doing well. She's so beautiful! What an incredible family. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers. Let us know if you need anything at all. Meals, a babysitter, etc. Love you guys!

natalie said...

WOW! What a story! We are so thrilled for your family! She is beautiful! We have been praying for your dear little family. What a miracle and a great blessing she is to your family. Congrats to you all!

Ryan and Erin said...

YAY! No crazy c-section! We will keep up the prayers!

Dan and Marci Family said...

Wow such great news congratulations, I can't believe she came just since Thursday. She is an amazing blessing and joy, can't wait to see her. Both of you and your faith is inspiring. We will keep your family in our prayers. Please let us know if you need help with anything.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, you guys! She is so beautiful, and so tiny! Congratulations!

cari said...

What a story. Congrats you guys. We hope things will continue to go well for this beautiful baby girl.

Clayton and Amber said...

Beautiful and precious. We are so glad that she is here and in your arms! Mer...you did it! You avoided all interventions and did it naturally...I bet you are so happy about that. Way to go!! We continue to keep you in our prayers. We wish you had a video of Craig running you through the hospital and driving you there! Great story- and a true miracle.

grammatracy said...

We are so glad the delivery went so well. What a wonderful start for baby Lily. She is absolutly precious and we hope the MRI goes well. You are all in our prayers constantly. You both are awesome. Love your strength and testimony of the gospel. Love you guys Ted and Tracy and fam