3.07.2008

Reading Rewards


There are a few shows that I watch regularly, one of which is the Today Show. I flip it on in the morning to help me emerge from my comatose state while Brady is playing happily with his toys. This morning they had a tiny segment on reading with your kids. If I recall what they said correctly, only 1/3 of children are read to by a caring adult each day. So, the group Reading is Fundamental has teamed up with US Airways and issued a challenge to get parents reading to their children. They're hoping for America's combined efforts to total one million minutes of reading by May 31st. And, as incentive, they're holding weekly drawings for toys, airline tickets, even a Disney vacation. To help in the effort visit Reading is Fundamental's website, www.rif.org. You get to decorate your very own little plane (which, if you have toddlers, they can help with!) and they'll call you "Captain." I just read with Brady for 5 minutes (the limit of his pre-nap attention span) and logged the minutes. Every little bit counts!

2 comments:

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

Thanks Mer,

I totally signed up and logged Summers' reading. She is obscessed with books so this should be fun.

Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

RIF-US Airways’ “Read With Kids Challenge” Reaches Goal of One Million Minutes Read with Flying Colors
WASHINGTON—March 24, 2008—Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) and US Airways (LCC) reported today that their "Read with Kids Challenge” has reached the one million minutes read goal two months ahead of schedule. More than 10,000 parents and educators, including hundreds of US Airways employees, have already logged in minutes read to young children since the Challenge was launched on February 29. The online Challenge runs until May 31.