Craig's birthday is coming up (November 2nd) and I am planning on baking a cake for the occasion. In preparation, I went to marthastewart.com and picked out a different cake recipe for me to practice on. I can't practice the real thing in front of him because then it won't be a surprise anymore! I found one that looked particularly delicious: Boston Cream Pie. I'd never eaten it but how can you go wrong with cake that has pudding in the middle and chocolate on top? So Sunday night I set out to bake the cake. It was gorgeous when it came out of the oven: golden, slipped right out of the pan. But my cake had a deformity. It was concave. So, I thought to myself, "I've got another vanilla bean, I'll give it one more shot." Tuesday night I tried again, meticulously following each instruction. To my shock and disappointment, this cake was even worse than the first! I had put too much batter in the pan and it had overflowed in addition to still being caved in. Depressed, I turned to the internet to find something that would tell me what I did wrong. And what did I come to find out? Boston Cream Pie cake is SUPPOSED to be concave! You cut the cake in half and use the top half as the bottom of the finished cake. It acts as a bowl for the pudding. If it had only indicated this on the recipe I would have felt much better about my efforts. So, if you find yourself in the same situation I was in, don't despair! Funny looking cake = more pudding for everyone. It's delicious, by the way. If you're in Provo, come get a piece while it's still around.
PS...That spatula was clean when I gave it to Brady, it didn't have batter on it...in case you were concerned. He had a delightful time munching the rubber end.



2 comments:
What a stressful baking experience! Cute pictures of Brady...hopefully we get to see him in a few days!
I'm so glad you posted the tip. I would have gave up altogether. It looks sooo delicious. Ty and I wish we were in Provo to eat some. Maybe we can see you in Utah this Christmas time. Will you be there?
Post a Comment